About the Ministry
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services (MIBS) has a mandate to coordinate the coverage of social, cultural, and economic development matters in the country. The Ministry is the main government channel for the collection, compiling and dissemination of information on all government programmes and activities. The Ministry is headed by a Cabinet Minister who is appointed by the Republican President.
The vision of the Ministry is in two folds:
- To have a highly educated, technologically competent and well-informed Zambia in which citizens have full access to all forms of media, and where people fully and actively participate in democratic governance and national development as part of the country’s overall long-term social and cultural change process; and
- To provide policy and legal frame work for the development of an efficient labour market and to coordinate and monitor it’s operations in order to enhance productivity.
The Mission of the Ministry is in two folds:
- Effectively facilitate the development of the Media Industry in order to enhance the free flow of information and freedom of expression for National development; and
- To promote and facilitate the development of an efficient and effective labour market system so as to enhance productivity in the country.
The Ministry has offices in all the provinces which are responsible for gathering and initiating information processing at provincial level. As a focal point for national information gathering and dissemination, MIBS has a major responsibility to co-ordinate and facilitate the operations of the media in the county, as provided for in the legal framework.
The Ministry’s portfolio functions as outlined in the Government Gazette Notice No. 547 of 2004 are as follows:
- Information and Media Policy;
- Theatre and Cinema Policy;
- Broadcasting and Television Services;
- Gathering and Dissemination of Information;
- Mass Communication Training;
- Copyright and Performance;
- Control of Obscene Literature;
- Film Industry; and
The Ministry oversees the two public newspapers, the Times of Zambia and the Zambia Daily Mail as well as the Zambia Printing Company. The Boards for these institutions are appointed by the Minister. The Permanent Secretary represents Ministry on the Boards of the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) and the Zambia Institute of Mass Communication (ZAMCOM).
The goal of MIBS is “to achieve country wide media coverage for a well informed public”
The specific objectives are:
- To provide legal and policy framework in order to guide the operations of the media industry
- To coordinate the provision of government information to the public in order to ensure consistency and portray a positive image of government
- To interpret Government policy to the public in order to solicit their support and participation in national programmes
- To provide timely news and information to the public
- To improve the capacity of the public media in order to attain countrywide coverage
- To conduct research in media and national topical issues in order to improve the quality of media products, measure public response and influence government policy
- To facilitate the protection of copyright and related rights in order to reduce piracy and unfair exploitation of intellectual property
- To develop and manage human resources in order to enhance the performance of the ministry
- To provide effective financial management services and oversight in order to ensure accountability and transparency
- To provide administrative and logistical support services for efficient operations of the Ministry
- To establish and maintain an information management system in order to improve accessibility to information for speedy and informed decision making
- To plan, coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of ministerial policies, legal framework, projects and programmes in order to ensure their effective implementation and compliance
The Ministry has four (4) departments. These are: