STATEMENT BY MR GODFREY MALAMA, PERMANENT SECRETARY, MINISTRY OF INFORMATION AND BROADCASTING SERVICES ON THE LAUNCH OF THE END OF WW1 CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS AND NORTHERN PROVINCE INVESTMENT AND TOURISM EXPO MEDIA AWARDS
5th September, 2018
I welcome you all to today’s press briefing.
As you are aware ladies and gentlemen, in the ongoing Government agenda to promote investment and industrial development across the country, The Northern Province will from 20th to 24th November hold an investment and tourism expo.
Contrary to generally held misconceptions that the First World War ended in Europe on 11th November, 1918, the fact of the matter is that the last shots of the war and the final surrenders did not take place in Europe but here in Zambia, Mbala in particular, on 25th November, 1918.
For this reason the Expo will be held in tandem with the centenary celebrations of the end of the First World War.
The historical occasion which is expected to be graced by His Excellency the President Mr. Edgar Chagwa Lungu, President of the Republic of Zambia, will be held under the theme, “unlocking investment opportunities 100 years after the end of the First World War”.
Government places high premium on the role of the media in Zambia’s successful hosting of this event. Government is showcasing this passion by educating the Zambian people and the world at large about the vast and virgin investment potential that the Northern Province is endowed with.
As such, I am delighted to announce the launch of the Media Awards on the end of the First World War Centenary Celebrations and the Northern Province Investment and Tourism Expo.
In this regard, I welcome to the Ministry, the delegation working with the Provincial Administration Mr. Albert Phiri, The Coordinator of the Media Awards and Mr. Justine Silumbwe, Chairperson of the Fundraising Committee for the Media Awards.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Media Awards are a collaborative undertaking between the Northern Province Administration and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services (MIBS) with private sector support.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Media Awards will recognize the best writing in video, audio, and blog work done on the following:
- Infrastructure development in Northern Province within the last seven (7) years,
- The significance of the Northern Province Investment and Tourism Expo and the Investment potential of Northern Province,
- Events surrounding the end of the First World War in the province.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the objectives of the Media Awards are:
- To increase awareness and draw attention to the unprecedented catalogue of infrastructure development achievements of the Government of His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu and how these developments have opened up the province to general investment and tourism,
- To use the media to galvanise awareness on investment and Tourism opportunities in Northern Province,
- To re-write history and challenge widespread misinformation surrounding the end of WW1,
- To increase the use of social media platforms to stimulate awareness on developments taking place in Northern Province as well as investment and tourism opportunities in the region.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the media awards which will run from today to 26 November, 2018 will cover twelve (12) categories namely:
- Best Media Institution Coverage Award
- Best Print Media Journalism Award
- Best Radio Journalism Award (Commercial and Public Radio Stations)-News
- Best Radio Journalist Award (Commercial and Public Radio Stations)- Documentaries and Packages
- Best Community Radio Journalist Award – Interactive Radio Programmes, Documentaries and Packages
- Best Television Journalist Award – News
- Best Television Journalist Award – Documentaries
- Best Blogger
- Best Local Language Production
- Best Overall Award
- Ministers Award
- Best Overall Journalist
The entries will be received by the Press and Media Development Department (PMD) Public Relations Office on 6th Floor or via email addresses that would be availed to you by the Public Relations team:
The entries will be judged by a panel of professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in the subject matters covered. The total prize money for the media awards is K300, 000.00.
First winners in the following categories will receive K15, 000.00:
- Best Print Media Journalist
- Best Radio Journalist News
- Best Radio Journalist package
- Best Television Journalist Award – News
- Best Television Journalist Award - Documentaries
And the first winners in the following categories will receive K12, 000.00:
- Best Radio Journalist news (Community Radio)
- Best Radio Journalist Packages (Community Radio)
- Best local language Production (Radio, TV or Print)
The best overall journalist will receive K25, 000
There will also be recognition for the best Media Institution for the best Media Institution.
Ladies and Gentlemen, detailed information regarding the other categories, the runners up and the third prize will be availed to you at a later stage.
In conclusion, the media are a critical tool in promoting knowledge and awareness to a wide audience. I, therefore urge you all to take a keen interest in this competition and win the awards.
I thank you.