The Ministry has offices in all the provinces which are responsible for gathering and initiating information processing at provincial level. As a focal point for national information gathering and dissemination, MIBS has a major responsibility to co-ordinate and facilitate the operations of the media in the county, as provided for in the legal framework.
The Ministry’s portfolio functions as outlined in the Government Gazette Notice No. 547 of 2004 are as follows:
- Information and Media Policy;
- Theatre and Cinema Policy;
- Broadcasting and Television Services;
- Gathering and Dissemination of Information;
- Mass Communication Training;
- Copyright and Performance;
- Control of Obscene Literature;
- Film Industry; and
The Ministry oversees the two public newspapers, the Times of Zambia and the Zambia Daily Mail as well as the Zambia Printing Company. The Boards for these institutions are appointed by the Minister. The Permanent Secretary represents Ministry on the Boards of the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) and the Zambia Institute of Mass Communication (ZAMCOM).