Press and Media Development (PMD) Department
The Press and Media Development Department is responsible for creating a conducive environment for the development of both public and private media in the country and providing support to the Office of the Minister of Information and Broadcasting Services (MIBS) in her/his capacity as Chief Government Spokesperson.
The department is divided into two units namely:
- Public and Media Relations
- Media Development
Public and Media Relations Unit
This unit is responsible for providing support to the office of the Minister of Information and Broadcasting Services and Chief Government Spokesperson in order to enlighten the public on Government policies and programmes.
Media Development Unit
The Media Development unit is responsible for facilitating the development of a sustainable public and private media as well as increasing media coverage in the country for a well-informed society.
The following are the specific functions of the department:
- Promoting the free flow of information necessary for consolidating the democratic process,
- Originate press releases and speeches for the Ministry,
- Facilitate the formulation and review of existing national legislation in order to ensure responsiveness to issues of information and media development,
- Coordinate the implementation of the National Information and Media Policy,
- Ensure domestication of regional and international instruments on information and provide periodic reports,
- Facilitate capacity building for media practitioners in the country,
- Coordinate and mobilise resources for the implementation of media development programmes, and
- Disseminate relevant information on Government policies and programmes.